Sunday, June 5, 2011

Orientation Saturday and Day 1 Sunday - Opening Ceremonies and then off toward Santa Cruz - 85 miles.


Orientation Day on Saturday was at the Cow Palace, which is also where we take off from Sunday morning. On Saturday, I dropped off my bike, watched a mandatory safety and general information video and got all the necessary paperwork, rider number stickers, tent/ gear location chips, questions answered, etc. taken care of. It rained all day, which added to the nervous excitement for the following morning. They also staged the 30th Anniversary Red Ribbon Photo taken with available riders/roadies participating in the shot, commemorating the event and anniversary.
I spent the rest of Saturday packing my bag, filling it with riding clothes, food, bike repair tools and supplies, sunscreen, etc. Each went into their own large zip lock bag for easy access and organization.

30th Anniversary photo taken at Orientation Day. Photo courtesy of Stephen Busken and the ALC 10 Event.

Day 1 was great. Up at 4am. Lisa drove me to the Cow Palace and got there by 5:30am. I brought my gear bag to my gear truck "G" and met my tent mate Neil. Opening ceremonies followed inside the middle of the indoor arena.
It was both touching and inspirational. Rob Thomas' "Now Comes the Night" played as a procession walked through the riders standing on the main floor featuring a riderless bike, in memory of all the riders, lost to AIDS, and because of HIV and AIDS, won't be joining us in ALC 10. With a record $13 million dollars raised from this event, we were congratulated on our fund raising efforts and a declaration that the ride was on (w/ stable weather for the first leg to Santa Cruz), we grabbed our bikes and out we rolled, all 2300+ of us.
85 miles later, I got to Santa Cruz around 5 after 4 rest stops and lunch, eating the entire day and going through 6 water bottles full of Gatorade and water. Big winds getting out of Half Moon Bay, but then things picked up the rest of the way. If Day 1 was an indication of the kind of roadside support and cheering we will receive throughout the week, it will be an unbelievable experience. People came out and stood in the most random places along the road, highway, off-ramps, sidewalks, everywhere cheering us on. It instantly gives you a push to roll on, no matter the mile, the hill, how you're feeling.
Along the road toward Santa Cruz. (I'm the one in red w/ yellow sleeves)

Lunch today was at the beach.
Tomorrow is our longest one-day ride at 107 miles. We've been told to get some rest!

My tent (G-77) and my tentmate's and my gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment